May 2012 Newsletter
We love moms, so May is extra special to all of us here at Zenana Spa and Wellness Center. This Mother's Day say "I love you" with some extra thought and affection. We know that there are lots of moms reading this so celebrate yourself and come in for a spa service this year. Don't hesitate, don't think...just do it. You deserve it! If you're in the market for a great present for the special mom in your life, get her a gift certificate that she can put to use however she so chooses. It's super easy to buy a gift card online, or come in and pick one up! Whether you're an experienced mama, expecting your first, or have proudly raised all of yours and have seen them leave the nest, we wish you the happiest of Mother's Days.
Visit our boutique today for easy gift ideas for the deserving mama in your life~
In this issue. . .
7 Great Ideas for Mother's Day
We love this article from the Chicago Tribune with seven great ideas for honoring moms this Mother's Day. From a homemade poem to a surprise outing to tickets to a live performance, these are some fun and realistic ideas for us all to consider. And if the homemade facial and massage don't quite work out, send her in to Zenana Spa for some extra-special pampering. Click here to read more.
Mother's Day Giveaway
Be on the lookout for a great Mother's Day giveaway from Zenana Spa on PDXKids Calendar!
Wellness Studio News
Save the Date if you are Preparing for Baby
On June 23 and 24 we will hold our "Preparing for Baby" workshops. Classes will include
- Breastfeeding Basics
- Newborn Baby Care Basics
- Nutrition for a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy
Spring into Summer Cleanse
We are excited to announce our first ever seasonal cleanse! Get ready for summer with more energy and feel lighter with our SPRING INTO SUMMER 7-DAY CLEANSE!
Start Date: Tuesday May 29th - Tuesday June 5th
Early Bird Registration (until May 22nd): $149.00
Regular Registration: $199.00
THE SPRING INTO SUMMER 7-DAY CLEANSE INCLUDES:
- Pre-Challenge Orientation to get started on the right foot.
- Daily Guide so you are never left wondering what to do or eat.
- Meal Plan at a Glance for each day so you don't have to worry or feel overwhelmed about what to cook.
- Helpful Tips to get you started and to help you continue on after you are successfully finished cleansing.
- Shopping List to save you time, stress, and sanity at the store.
- Snack Ideas for those of us who love to snack but need to keep it healthy.
- Special Access to exclusive group forum to ask questions and receive support from nutritionist/health counselor throughout cleanse.
- Daily Check List to help you stay on track.
- Explanation on possible cleansing reactions and support for how to manage different reactions from nutritionist/health counselor.
BONUS: Private 30-minute post-cleanse strategy session to ensure your long-term success.
Plus enjoy a $40 voucher for the Zenana Spa and Wellness Center, New Seasons Goodie Bag and 15% off all products by Dr. Liz Wallace, Naturopathic Physician and Licensed Acupuncturist at Zenana Spa.
THE SCOOP ON CLEANSES
Because we realize it’s a bit hard to understand the benefits, reasons and results of a cleanse we thought it best to ask our resident nutritionist and holistic health coach Jill Muhm-Glover and get the real answers.
Jill, what is the deal with all the spring cleanses/detoxes that I hear about everywhere? What exactly is a cleanse/detox and why are people so into them? Is it just a bunch of hype?
Jill: Great question! Yes, there is a lot of hype out there about cleanses! And there are a LOT of different types of cleanses to choose from. The basic idea behind a cleanse is to help the body do what it is meant to do – eliminate toxins. Every day we are exposed to toxins that find their way into the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. The body does its best to rid itself of these dangerous substances by excreting them through the lungs, liver, kidneys, skin, and bowels. Unfortunately, many times the toxic load we encounter is so great that those toxins don’t make it all the way out of the body. They get circulated back into the bloodstream and body tissues and many times deposited in our fat tissues. As these toxins accumulate in the body, they can become an underlying cause of a variety of health problems and obesity.
Once a toxin is stored in fatty tissue, the body will hold on to that fat as long as it can and many people find that they simply can not lose weight no matter how much they exercise until they go through the process of detoxing the body and expelling these toxins. If you find that you have a really hard time losing weight in your belly or thighs, it very well could be that you are storing some toxins there enclosed in a nice layer of fat to keep them from harming the rest of your body.
Spring is nature’s detoxification season. The heavy stores of winter no longer serve us, and nature presents us with a special harvest of bitter roots, sprouts, greens and berries to help detox any excess fats and proteins out of the system. According to Ayurveda and other healing philosophies, failing to detox properly during the seasonal transition may result in allergies, congestion, fatigue, depression, and/or weight gain during the spring months.
Here are some reasons people engage in a spring cleanse program:
- Weight loss
- Lifted, lighter mood
- Better Digestion
- More energy
- Curb Cravings
By eating clean, detoxing, or cleansing, you can give your body a break and allow it to finally get rid of those toxins that have been stored up over time. Many cleanses are designed to give your digestive system a rest which re-sets the metabolism and kick starts healthy, sustainable weight loss. You want to be very choosy however with the different cleanse programs. Some programs are based on liquids alone while others focus on eating whole foods. If you have never tried a cleanse before, I would suggest you find a program that is based on whole foods.
2) Give your immune system a spring break. 80% of our immune system lives in our intestines, and because of the damage caused by modern toxicity, it is constantly in a state of alert and in attack mode. There is a list of foods that really stir things up for the immune system and create a damaged intestine. Dairy, sugar, coffee, and gluten are the obvious culprits so I suggest you eliminate them from your diet for 1 week.
3) Cleanse your kitchen by eating with the seasons. Nature knows what it is doing. Any time of year, animals all over the planet are eating whatever is in grown locally and in season, and we’d be wise to do the same. Go to the farmer’s market, learn what is in season, and eat whole foods when they’re fresh and abundant.
4) Drink lots of water. Filtered water is best. Not distilled, unless you know what you are doing. Water with lemon is great for cleansing, as lemon is nature’s magic cleaner. In the spring, the ice melts and the rivers run strong. Imitate spring in your body with fresh water flowing through it constantly. Ideally you want to consume half of your body weight in ounces of water every day.
|Find us on Facebook and Twitter|
Zenana Spa and Wellness Center has a page on Facebook where you can keep up with current happenings and spa specials.
We are also on Twitter, come follow us.